Summer 2019 Program Dates: 3 June to 9 August, 2019
We are happy that you will be joining us at Berkeley Lab. Here are some things you need to know:
Participants are expected to attend the entire program. If you cannot attend from start to finish or need to take time out of the program, you should decline this offer.
We have a “late start” date, for participants who can’t start on the first day due to academic reasons. This later date is only for participants whose school’s term ends later than the beginning of the program. Your orientation date will be included in your confirmation letter.
Tasks to complete before your arrival:
- All Workforce Development & Education (WD&E) internship participants are processed through the Berkeley Lab Guest Affiliate Registry. You will receive an email from LBNL Affiliate Registration to start the Guest Affiliate Registration process. Please go to the link in the email and complete the form ASAP or within five working days of the date of the email.
- Complete the Administrative Information Guide to accept the offer. Please be certain to email a copy of your curriculum vitae (CV) to GEM@lbl.gov in the following format:
CV – GEM <Term> <Year> – Last Name, First Name
Example: CV – GEM Summer 2019 – Smith, Jane
- Contact your mentor.
- Discuss specifics of your project and get to know some of your mentor’s academic and/or professional background.
- Request reading material and perform online research to help prepare for your research project.
- Secure housing.
- Make travel arrangements.
- Complete the Travel To/From LBNL section on the Administrative Information Guide.
- Once we receive the Administrative Information Guide, we will contact you to arrange for your arrival to the Lab. If we do not receive the Administrative Information Guide within five working days of the date of this letter, you may be released from the program to make room for another participant.
- WD&E will arrange travel to the Bay Area for participants who live farther than 50 miles from Berkeley Lab.
- If you are traveling by air, DO NOT BOOK YOUR OWN TRAVEL. Please follow the following process.
- Additional travel information for participants traveling by air
- WD&E will send you an email with a link to your flight itinerary placed on hold for your approval. You will have 24 hours to respond with any changes, if applicable. If WD&E does not hear from you within 24 hours, your flight will be ticketed. Once the ticket is booked, any changes that are made will be your financial responsibility unless approved by WD&E.
- WD&E will email a ticket confirmation with a travel itinerary.
- WD&E will reimburse up to $50 for baggage fees for the summer term and $100 for fall and spring participants traveling by air.
- WD&E will reimburse up to $80 for transportation to and from the airport to Berkeley, CA, for participants traveling by air.
- Your proof of car insurance (if driving and parking at the Lab, limited to faculty only). Note: Parking passes can be acquired during badging at the Site Access/Badge Office (Bldg. 65)
- Complete and MAIL the following documents within 14 days of the date of the Offer Letter:
- A completed W-9 form. For your protection, please do not email the form. Stipends will not be processed without a completed W-9.
- Berkeley Lab does not issue W2 or 1099 forms for WD&E participants. The Lab is not allowed to give tax advice; please consult a tax professional.
- Mail the above documents and official transcripts to:
Workforce Development & Education
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
1 Cyclotron Road Mail Stop 50A1148
Berkeley, CA 94720
Please do not attempt to complete the following until you have obtained your LBNL LDAP password. You will receive a letter with instructions on how to obtain your LBNL LDAP user name, password, and other pertinent information.
Once you receive your LDAP, WD&E will begin sending email to your LBNL email address NOT your personal email. Please be sure to start checking it frequently for correspondence. You can access your LBNL email address and LBNL Google calendar by going to gmail.lbl.gov and logging in with your LDAP username and password.
- Complete the Work Planning and Control (WPC) tutorial.
Work performed at Berkeley Lab must be reviewed and authorized by an Activity Lead before it can proceed. For interns, your mentor is your Activity Lead.
Please call your mentor immediately to request that your mentor add you to one or more work activities in Activity Manager, which is the Lab’s WPC. Your mentor will also review the hazards associated with that work and any necessary controls required for your protection.
Please note that you will not be permitted to begin work at the Lab without completing the WPC process and the subsequent training courses.
- Complete General Employee Radiation Training (GERT).
- Complete LBL 001, Overview of Safety, Emergency Management & Trafficking Victims Protection.
- Begin completing initial Assignments and Deliverables (student). Faculty deliverables match those for VFP.
Please see the Internship Programs Calendar (GEM, CCI, BLUR, VFP Student) for times and locations of orientation and events.
For more information, contact GEM@lbl.gov.